Change of Name of Minor after adoption

Contact us / WhatsApp on 9326098181 Email us on
To do a Change of Name of Minor after adoption, the adoption formalities have to be completed with Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) on the website Then you will have the adoption deed/order with you. After the adoption deed has been executed and shown to the Magistrate (in your Jurisdiction), he will pass orders for the change of particulars in the child’s birth certificate. Now is when you can go ahead with the procedure of “Change of Name of Minor child after adoption”.

The procedure to do a “Change of Name of Minor child after adoption”.


Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...


Spambot blocker question

1 + 4 =

FAQ’s Change of Name of Minor child after adoption.

Q 1: If a biological father has expired, and the biological mother has got married again. In such a case, how to do a “Change of Name of Minor child after adoption”?

In all the documents where you may change the name of the child, the biological father’s name will not change, in the new Birth Certificates of your child.

  • 1: Register the adoption deed giving the reason that the biological father has died and the child’s mother has given consent for the adoption. The mother can get an affidavit made on behalf of the minor child, giving the above reason (father has expired, hence the mother has got married again). Submit an affidavit with the First Class Magistrate/Notary Public/Oath Commissioner in the District court. An affidavit is a legal document. It is a notarized proof/evidence of the name change announcement. Affidavit can be made from anywhere in India or outside India. Every state has different rules for the usage of non-judicial stamp papers for making an affidavit. (E.g. rs.100/-, for Maharashtra.) Take the legal expertise of an advocate for drafting the affidavit properly.
  • 2: Advertise the name change in two newspapers, one a regional newspaper and the other being an English newspaper. This is done to publically declare the change in the name so that if a conflict arises later, you have an official declaration of your name change. Purchase some copies (3to4) of the newspaper. You may need to submit the full page of the newspaper at various places like, your offices, passport office, schools etc. Newspaper cuttings and photocopies are not accepted.
  • 3: Publish a gazette notification giving the same reason (father has expired, hence the mother has got married again). To publish a name change ad in newspaper is a legal requirement. It is part of the change of name procedures. The name change documents is useful for many future purposes. Most often it is noted that people only have the affidavit and the Newspaper advertisements (for name change) but do not the Gazette notification regarding the name change.

Preserve the copies of the newspapers ad and the gazette notification. Do keep scanned copies too, if possible.

Q 2: I have remarried after getting divorced from my first husband. Now my second husband want’s to adapt my son. I want to know about the name change in the passport of my minor child, after adoption.

A: As per your Divorce decree, if u have the custody of your child, then you are Natural Guardian of that child. You can do the name change, in the minor child’s passport. The Child’s Passport will have the adopted father’s name. You will have to annex the child’s Original Birth Certificate and Registered Adoption Deed with joint Affidavit of biological mother and the your second husband. The process of “Change of Name of Minor child after adoption” is mentioned above.

How to do a Gazette Notification for Change of Name of Minor child after adoption” in the state of Maharashtra.

Do a Gazette notification!

What is a Gazette notification?

The Gazette of India is a public journal and an authorised legal document of the Government of India. It is published by the Department of Publication, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. As a public journal, the Gazette prints official notices from the government.

Documents required for Name change in gazette for Minor (below 18 years).

ID Proof: Aadhar card or School ID or Aadhar Card
Address Proof: Ration card or Aadhar Card
Age Proof: Birth Certificate or School LC or Bonafide
Photo: One Passport Size Photo
Application Form : Duly Signed By Minor if possible and parents or Guardians

If this all sounds confusing, and if you still have questions, we’ll tell you how to do a change of name (Change of Name of Minor child after adoption) in the state of Maharashtra.
A Gazette Notification is a state or Central government subject (as the case may be).
The application process for Change of Name Gazette Notification in Maharashtra state is online. One needs to apply in the government’s official website dedicated to change of name wherein, you will need to upload the application form along with the documents.
For all your queries, contact: 9821794000.